Sunday, January 10, 2010

TNT Update

Over $4,000 raised to fund vital cancer research and support luekemia/lymphoma patients!

Thank you so much to all of you who have supported me in raising funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  Your response has been overwhelming and, as you can see, we blew away my initial goal of $2,000.  I'm not ready to stop yet: please pass the word on to your friends/family who may be interested in donating.  I'm also in the process of identifying potential corporate sponsorships and support from local businesses; I'm thinking a February happy hour fundraiser with a raffle/auction, so stay tuned for that.

I completed my first real training run with TNT yesterday morning (6 miles) in sub-30 degree weather.  All of the DC area teams were there and they held a Honored Teammate event after the training, where athletes and survivors alike shared their stories of dealing with leukemia/lymphoma.  I got up for about a minute and shared my story in front of about 100 other TNT'ers and expressed my thanks for everyone for committing to the cause - it was such an uplifting experience for me and it also helped to hear and meet others that have gone through the same experiences. 

Due to the temporary setback with my neutrophil count, I'm now scheduled for Round 3 this coming Tuesday.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, we'll see), that means all subsequent treatments got pushed back as well, which means the half-marathon is only 2 days after my final treatment.  I plan to keep training through this as long as I can stand on my two feet.  I hope to see all of you in March, either on the roads with me or at the finish line :)

No comments:

Post a Comment