Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stepping it up

Fundraising update:  Over $6,800 raised as of today with a little less than 2 weeks of fundraising left.  I'm still waiting to see whether fellow lymphoma fighter Michael C. Hall (of Dexter fame) responds to my letter (I sent him a letter a few weeks back to say hey and  to see whether he'd consider sponsoring me), but who knows if it even made it past his manager.  In the mean time, if you know of anyone who'd be interested in making a donation, please refer them to my fundraising website.  And thanks to all of you for your support thus far!


Training update: DC's historic blizzard a couple weeks ago brought the training to a standstill, but at this point I think we're pretty much back on track for March 20.  While I've been pretty bad about getting in the two shorter weekday runs, did get two solid long runs in last weekend (9.25 miles) and this weekend (8 miles) with the TNT running group.  While last weekend was tough, Andrea and I were at the front of the pack this past weekend and were tearing up the roads in Rock Creek Parkway (I may be exaggerating a tiny bit).


I also decided last week that it's about time I do a triathlon, so I registered to compete in the DC Tri as my first sprint triathlon (.8K swim / 20K bike / 8k run) on June 20.  Kind of a spur-of-the-moment decision for me but why the heck not?  Sure, I never really learned how to swim, but that's what my girlfriend's for.  She used to be a competitive swimmer so now she has the fun task of improving my swimming so that I can minimize the amount of Potomac River water swallowed.  I had my first lesson today in Georgetown's pool.  So far I can make it about 15 meters before taking a break (i.e., less than one full length of the pool).  I obviously have some work to do over the next few months, as the .8K of swimming equates to about 30 pool lengths!). If all goes well, I'll probably be setting my sights on the Half Full Triathlon in October, which benefits the Ulman Cancer Fund, a great organization supporting young adults affected by cancer.  


Health:  After an entire week working from home (due to low neutrophil counts) and the entire following week at home due to DC's crazy snow storms, my body had plenty of time in isolation to make a strong comeback and I'm ready for round 5 of treatment this week.  Only one more in March and then a follow-up PET scan in April which hopefully shows me that I can start using the "R" word.  Overall, I haven't experienced any major side effects since the last visit to the infusion center and I'm still feeling pretty strong.  I'm back up to my normal weight and while my hair is still a little thin up top, all of the facial hair is back (bummer - was hoping it would just go away forever).  

More posts to follow shortly re: another recent spur-of-the-moment decision (is this a chemo side effect??) and some great organizations I recently discovered...

1 comment:

  1. Trevor- So inspiring to read your blog. If there is anything we can do to help you in your FIGHT, please reach out. brian@ulmanfund.org
    We are in your corner. Keep the great attitude. WE will be out at the National Half Marathon and looking forward to meeting you! Keep FIGHTING!

    Best,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete